02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: My Love/Hate Relationship with New Year's Resolutions 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

My Love/Hate Relationship with New Year's Resolutions

34



I have a love/hate relationship with New Year's Resolutions.  Maybe you are one of those people who just thinks about a new goal and automatically achieves it.  I am not.  I actually have to work for it.  And this time of year used to be a time of guilt for me.

Why did I feel guilty?  Because this was a natural time of reflection for me.  I would think back to the last New Year and the goals I had wanted to achieve.  As I looked back over my year I generally realized I had not accomplished a single goal on my list.  Not one New Year's Resolution had stuck.  Ugg.  GUILT.  Yuck.

So while I agreed that setting goals was a good thing, and that personal reflection and evaluation was beneficial, I didn't like all the shame and guilt that seemed to go with it.  Call me wimpy...

But last year was different.  Somehow, I managed to meet a host of goals this past year.   As New Year 2013 loomed ever closer, I began to wonder what had been different.  Why had I achieved my goals this year, when I never seemed to be able to do it before?  Had I morphed into a different person?  No, but something was different.  Being a curious person, I wanted to know what it was.

Over the next couple of days, I will tell you some of my goals from last year and what I did differently to accomplish them.


Happy New Year!!

Angela
P.S.  You can find the next installment here.

Labels:

35 36 37 38