02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: Dating & Marriage 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Dating & Marriage

34


The other day, some friends and I were talking.  Somehow we got off on the subject of dating and marriage and I started spewing out some thoughts.  After a few minutes, they suggested I put these thoughts on the blog.  At first, I resisted.  Being in the ministry, I have been painfully aware how quickly this blog could turn into a place where I just preached at people.  Do you know what I mean?

There are a thousand and one places to go out there to hear another sermon, but I found that there weren't too many places out there to get fun, practical tips on just "making it all work".  I want this blog to be a fun place to hang out and maybe even get your creative juices flowing.  I want it to be a place that makes things accessible and doable.  I never have been one who went around trying to find a new places to preach, and I certainly didn't want this blog to turn into that.

But I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I kept thinking about the scripture that is right on my header:

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live...to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the Word of God. (Titus 2:3-5 NIV)

If that doesn't include "spewing out a few thoughts" on dating and marriage, I don't know what does.  So I took a big, deep breath and relented.

Over the next several days, I will be writing a few posts on some of the things I have learned during more than 17 years of juggling marriage, family and ministry.  I will tell you some of the things I have learned as we have counseled many couples who were either married or about to be married.  Some things may shock you, some things may amuse you, but hopefully, some things will help you see things a little bit more clearly.

So, in honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day, I will give you a Completely Unromantic (and brutally realistic) Look at Dating & Marriage.  Awww...  Doesn't it just make you want to eat some strawberries and chocolate?


Angela

Labels:

35 36 37 38