02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: Sleep 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Sleep

34


Do you get enough sleep?  No, really.  Think about it.  Are you getting enough sleep?

Here are some of the amazing benefits of getting enough sleep:
*Sleep may prevent diseases such as heart disease, cancer, etc.
*Sleep reduces stress
*Sleep reduces inflammation
*Sleep makes you more alert (duh)
*Sleep improves memory
*Sleep improves creativity
*Sleep may help with weight loss
*Sleep may reduce depression
*Sleep improves athletic performance
*Your body repairs itself while you sleep
*Sleep may help you live longer

(Find more information here and here.)

I have always had an easy time falling asleep.  Insomnia has never been an issue.  It isn't falling asleep that I have struggled with.  It's going to bed in the first place.

My husband and I have started a couple churches in our 17+ years of full-time ministry.  Starting churches is hard work -- really hard work.  In the beginning, you are your only help.  You pretty much need to be about 15 different hard working people.  I am also a full-time homeschooling mom.  That means that I homeschooled and mothered by day and did church work by night -- often ALL night.  Working day and night became a habit with me because, hey, I got a lot done.  Accomplishment can be addicting.  After years of keeping such a grueling schedule, it began to catch up with me.  I knew I had to change it.

That's where the problem came in.  After years of working 21-22 hour days (Yes, I know, I know), it is hard to stop after only a 16 or 17 hour work day.  There is so much that gets left undone when you shave HOURS off your typical work day.  You feel like you are falling behind.  You have to turn off the computer and walk away while there are still stacks of things to accomplish.  It is hard on an over-achiever.

The last few weeks I have made a strong effort to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.  Usually that has meant something more like 5 or 6, but it's a start.  I am learning to prioritize.  I am learning to do the most important things and be okay with leaving some things until another time.  I am learning what it feels like to be more rested and it's a good feeling.

My decision to sleep means the blog posts aren't getting written as often (I'm hoping to do better over the summer while school is out).  I have some good posts and tutorials swirling around in my head.  They would have already been written and posted by now if I was working my old work days.  Instead, they continue to reside in my brain while I sleep.  So if you stop by the blog and don't see any new content, just picture me getting some zzz's and try to be patient with me.

Have a great day!

Angela

Labels:

35 36 37 38