02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: We Interrupt This School Day... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

We Interrupt This School Day...

34
...to bring you a snake!

Yes, folks.
It's a girl.  And she's holding a snake and she's smiling.
All things are possible.

I have always felt that my kids learned a lot from being outdoors, and that it was good for their education to observe nature.  I try to get them out there as much as possible to see what there is to be seen.  I asked my budding biologist / teenage daughter to take Pickle Mickle (our two-year-old) outside for a quick nature walk and this is what they found:


Geometry flew out the window as everyone rushed outside to see May-May's treasure.  A little bit of research later (on May-May's part, not mine) and we knew we had a Smooth Green Snake on our hands.  The kiddos had fun observing him for a little bit before they set him free.

Kids are naturally curious about the world around them.  By letting them have contact with nature, we spark that curiosity.  After catching and observing a snake, or a frog or a caterpillar, they will want to know more about it.  What kind is it? What does it eat? Where does it live (it's habitat)? Can they keep it? (Only for a little while, to observe, then he goes back home.)  Once the kids form the questions, it's just a matter of pointing them in the right direction to find the answers.  Science has never been difficult at our house.   Whether it's natural science, physics, chemistry, you name it, my kids want to know.  It also helps that I'm not squeamish.  

I encourage you to go outside and look around.  You might be amazed what you see out there if you take the time to look.

***Disclaimer***  You should always know what you are picking up, BEFORE you do.  I taught my kids while they were very young how to identify harmless snakes versus poisonous ones.  I taught them about poisonous plants.  I taught them how to observe nature without disturbing nature. They are well versed in proper care for wildlife and never disturb wildlife in a way that will prove harmful to it.  We also don't touch things in nature reserves or parks.  We just happen to live where the wildlife comes looking for us, and we don't mind looking at it when it does.

Have a great day!

Angela


Labels:

35 36 37 38