02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: Organizing the Freezers 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Organizing the Freezers

34
Did you ever have one of those ugly jobs that you just never seemed to get around to doing?  They loom over you and make your life more complicated, but you still don't do anything about them.  Ugg.  I really don't like it when I do that.  But I did it anyway.

This time, my ugly job was our freezers.  We buy a lot of things in bulk for the year, so we need a lot of freezer space.  We have 3, in fact.  We have an upright freezer, a chest freezer and the freezer that is part of our refrigerator.  I had let them get pretty disorganized -- especially the meat and grain freezer.  I wasn't even sure what was in there anymore.  It's pretty hard to use it if you don't even know it's there.  They also needed to be defrosted -- two years ago.  Sigh.  I never got around to doing anything about them because I secretly didn't want to got busy with other things.

Recently, I grabbed myself by the neck and marched myself in there to clean, defrost and organize those freezers.  Prepare yourself.  I am about to show you some before pictures.  I don't want you to have nightmares.

Before:  The upright freezer

Before:  The chest freezer -- What!?!
 I couldn't find anything in there, so I just grabbed whatever was on top.

Behold, our Icelandic Adventure Cave.
If the freezer was a little bigger, I could have charged admission for Iceskating and Skiing.

The defrosting process took longer than I expected, but the results are fabulous.  I can find everything in seconds now, which greatly helps with meal planning.  Since I actually know what I have, I can plan our meals around our surplus.  Not only is it organized, it's actually saving us grocery money since I'm not re-buying things that got lost in the dark depths of the ice cave.

If I was one of those cool bloggers who purchases matching wicker baskets to organize everything, my freezers would look more inviting.  But, hey, I wasn't setting up an new sitting area.  It's cold in there.  I just used boxes and bins we already had and printed up labels for them.  I don't know how long my labels will hold up in that harsh, arctic environment, but so far so good.

AFTER:  Our refrigerator freezer -- this holds things I use daily.

AFTER:  Our upright freezer -- this holds all kinds of freezer items, like breads,  beans that I have cooked ahead and frozen, freezer meals, cheeses, fruits and veggies.  Our chest freezer looks pretty much like this, only it can't really be labeled since you are looking down on the top of the box rather than the side.  It holds our meats and grains.

There you have it.  One ugly job done.  Now I'm on the prowl.  Ugly jobs, beware.

Do you ever have jobs that you need to do, but don't?

Have a great day!!

Angela

Labels:

35 36 37 38